I finished the Harry Potter series this weekend.
Close the window if you haven’t read it. Lots of spoilers will be in here. (MOM. You too, Dad.) Even if you’ve never read them and THINK you will never read them, just please close the window. One day you will read them (YOU SHOULD) and these are things you aren’t going to want to know yet.
I have been staying away from anything Harry Potter related since I started these books. That’s shockingly hard with Pinterest at my fingertips. I knew some of the basics. I knew Dumbledore died, I heard that like 6 years ago.
But y’all, not kidding, about 3 weeks ago I was browsing Pinterest and saw a spoiler. It tricked me! Normally I can avoid them because I’ll just ignore anything with any of the Potter cast on it, but this one was one of those Ryan Gossling photos and it said, “Hey girl, I cried when Snape died too.”
I was LIVID. Why? Why did I have to read that??? I managed to avoid that info for FIVE years and then three weeks before I read it, I learn? Ugh. So that sucked.
1. Wow. J.K. Rowling is brilliant. Amazing. There seriously cannot be another book series out there that is comparable to HP. How in the world does her mind come up with this? As I was reading the ending chapters of book 7, my jaw was dropped. How? How did she do this??
2. I have so many mixed feelings about Snape. Yes, he is brave. Yes, he did an incredible thing for Harry and the wizarding world. Yes, he put on a good show for 6 books and made us all hate him. But the thing is that he is evil. That’s why Lily ended their friendship. He practiced the Dark Arts and thought it was fun. And what it all boils down to is this: He would have been a true Death Eater, he would have been on LV’s side if it hadn’t been for his love for Lily. He didn’t protect Harry because he was a truly good guy, he protected him for Lily. That’s it. So yeah, mixed feelings.
3. I wanted Harry to have a “he gets the girl” scene. I wanted a bit more closure on the present time instead of jumping into the epilogue.Who is the new staff at Hogwarts? What does Harry do now? Where does he live? How is George and the rest of the Weasleys?
4. Neville is awesome. I knew he would shine in book 7. I knew JK would give him a good role at the end and I’m so glad he got to be the one to kill Nagini. I think he is awesome and I wish he had some closer friends throughout the books.
5. Are these seriously not real people? I feel like they are real and I really want to meet them.
6. I joined Pottermore. Now what do I do? I don’t really get how it works.
7. So obviously I knew that Harry would eventually kill LV, I just wasn’t sure how it was going to happen. I didn’t think JK would ever have one of the kids do the killing curse, so I knew there would have to be another way. And I’m glad that it was true. I think that’s also why she didn’t want to write the books having Draco kill Dumbledore. Aside from the giant Snape story, she didn’t want to turn a child into such an evil person. Maybe that wasn’t her thought process at all, I can’t begin to think that I understand her, but I would like to believe it is partially true. She kept the kids pure.
8. All I can think about is Harry Potter. The kids, the stories, the memories in the Pensieve. Harry and Ginny, Ron and Hermione. Snape. Draco and his parents. McGonagill (my gracious that woman is awesome). I still need to watch the two Deathly Hallows movies, so I have that to look forward to. And then we go to Florida in a month where we will visit Hogsmeade… or The Wizarding World of Harry Potter… though I’m quite sure that I will be convinced that I’m in Hosgmeade. I’ll be looking for people I know so I can shake their hands and tell them how brave they are.
9. I’ve heard of Post Potter Depression. I currently have Post Potter Obsession. I’m making my mom read the books. I think I’ll revisit them in a few years. It will never be the same. You can never un-know the things you learn the first time around. But I think if enough time goes by, I can forget a few details and be completely blown away again. And I’m sure you catch things the second time around that you didn’t catch the first.
10. Jansen knows who Harry Potter is. I’ve been reading the books for so long that he can recognize him from the front cover. I think he should be Harry Potter for Halloween. Yes?
11. I may have more thoughts to come. I feel like I need to pick up the next book. I’ve been reading these books for several months that I’m not quite sure what to do now.