You know my friend Lauren from Texas? Yes you do. She’s my Best Blog Friend 4 Ever and I’ve mentioned her a million times. Well she recently moved to Lafayette so she and her husband could get some fancy degr
ees. While I’m not really a fan of places not in Texas, I am a huge fan of Lauren. So my Bonus Best Blog Friend 4 Ever, Molly, and I decided to plan a trip to visit her.
I headed over on Thursday after work. It was only about a three and a half hour drive and really wouldn’t have been bad if I hadn’t had to stop for an emergency pit stop in Beaumont at the nastiest Jack in the Box in the country. There were two stalls in the bathroom that smelled like the bottom layer of a pot-o-potty. One was occupied, the other didn’t have toilet paper. Fantastic. So I waited and waited. I knew there was someone in there. I could hear movement and I could see feet. The weird thing? The feet were facing sideways. I just don’t even know. Thankfully I didn’t pee my pants (though it was a close call) and I was back on the road in a relatively quick amount of time.
Molly joined us Friday evening. She is an attorney and fantastically important. Last week she drew up a contract for our weekend. We had many important things to do like nail painting, sharing our thoughts and feelings, and watching You’ve Got Mail. We stuck with our contract perfectly… aside from the fact that Molly fell asleep approximately 72 seconds into the movie.
Take Aways from the Weekend:
1. Women in Lafayette call other women “hun” all the time.
2. I cannot live there. EVERYTHING you eat is either made with shellfish (Stephen is allergic), contains sausage (I don’t eat tubed meat), or spicy (I die). I actually did order red beans and rice with sausage at a diner, I lived through it. I really do like their food, I just need to adjust it a bit when I make it for me.
3. Lauren’s husband has more energy than my toddler.
4. Sometimes people who work at places know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the place they work. We went to have a late lunch at this bakery and the specials menu said something about “11-2″ but we weren’t sure if that meant ALL food. So we asked. The lady responded, “I don’t know…………………….” LONG PAUSE. We stared at her. “I could ask?” Um. Yeah. Please.
5. Triathlons are not spectator sports. However, if there is someone in your life who participates, you should walk three fourths of a mile through a freshly mowed government field covered in morning dew while in sandals or ivory crochet Toms to cheer. It’s worth it. The athlete in your life will appreciate it. RIGHT MICHAEL?
6. Did you know that there are females in their
20s who have not seen Now and Then? In fact, there are females in their 20s who haven’t even heard of it. I KNOW. Lauren. ALSO, neither Blockbuster or Walmart carry it… which makes it really hard to convince Lauren that it is a fantastic movie and a borderline classic. Molly educated the Blockbuster lady about this classic film.
7. My friend Molly doesn’t like sweets at all. None of them. She likes the taste of orange juice after brushing her teeth. Also, she doesn’t like ice cream. (That’s also a sweet, but apparently that wasn’t clear with the statement “she doesn’t like sweets.”) She puts vegetables in her cocktails. Martinis with olives and Bloody Marys with celery and pickled green beans.
I could go on, but I realize that you weren’t actually there, so it would get old. It was a great time. I pretty much got no sleep at all because we shoved a couple months of conversation into three days. I sure love those girls and I’m already counting down the days until the next time I see them!